We are a 150 member+ strong volunteer group of individuals and families who share a common belief that our natural lands, fish, and wildlife must be protected. Because Pinellas County is the most densely populated county in Florida, we are especially fortunate to have the Tampa Bay Refuges within a short boat ride of our southern shore. Our Refuges fall within the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge complex and we work closely with the Friends of the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge.
We are governed by an 11 member Board of Directors which meets monthly. During the first quarter of each year we hold an annual meeting during which we review the previous year, discuss the coming year plans, and hear from experts on various aspects of habitat and wildlife management.
As Friends we:
- Encourage membership through opportunities that support the efforts of the U.S. Fish and Wildlfie Service at the Tampa Bay Refuges.
- Raise money to fund conservation, preservation, and educational projects in support of the Tampa Bay Refuges and the National Refuge System.
- Sponsor periodic Refuge clean-ups of exotic plants, debris, and mono-filament taht are damaging to wildlife and habitats.
- Offer public educational programs on conservation and preservation topics, gthe Tampa Bay Refuges, and the National Refuge System.
- Provide bird stewards at Egmont Key who monitor secured areas to ensure that birds can safely nest and rest during periods of high boater visitation to the island.
- Survey nesting and resting birds at the Pinellas Refuges each month to measure changes in population and evaluate effectivness of conservation programs.
Friends of Tampa Bay National Wildlife Refuges, Inc
PO Box 40782
St. Petersburg, FL 33743-0782
Make a difference in your own backyard!