Established in 1905 by Teddy Roosevelt. Its purpose was to preserve nesting colonies of native sea and wading birds. Originally a 60 acre mangrove island, it was destroyed by a hurricane in 1921. It is now a low lying sandbar that fluctuates in size from one to 30 acres. Most of the Key is now underwater. Due to its importance as one of the last undeveloped barrier islands in Tampa Bay, it is closed to public use.
View Larger Map