May 10 at the Ale and Witch
The Center for Biological Diversity and Friends of the Tampa Bay National Wildlife Refuges are pleased to invite you to “Ales and Wild Tails,” a night of environmental education, conversation and good beer on May 10 at The Ale and the Witch in St. Pete.
We’re in the plaza and will feature a presentation by Emma Mason, Volunteer Environmental Educator at Weedon Island Preserve and Education Chair for Friends of the Tampa Bay National Wildlife Refuges. If you haven’t been there, Weedon Island Preserve is located along the shores of Old Tampa Bay. It’s a rich mosaic of mangrove swamps, mudflats, pine flatwoods and oak hammocks, providing rich habitat for wading birds and other wildlife. It’s also a fascinating place to see and learn about the role of both prehistoric and historic cultures in shaping the land.
The event is free, and the beer is affordable and delicious — so bring your friends.
What: “Ales and Wild Tails,” this month featuring Weedon Island Preserve’s Emma Mason
When: Wednesday, May 10, 6-7 p.m.
Where: The Ale and the Witch, 111 2nd Ave. NE, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
Mark your calendar — “Ales and Wild Tails” happens the second Wednesday of every month.
- Volunteer opportunities:
Spring and summer events:
Project Free 3rd Saturday Art Walk evenings and Tuesday markets – anytime
St Pete Earth Day Celebration – April 22, 2017 in Williams Park, St Petersburg – need volunteers
Green Thumb – April 22 & 23, 2017 in St Petersburg – need volunteers
SharkCon – July 8 & 9, 2017 at the Florida Fairgrounds in Tampa – need volunteers
Gecko Fest in Gulfport – September 2, 2017
Crescent Lake Festival
MarineQuest – FWRI
Discover the Island – Egmont Key
Holiday Hoopla – Gulfport
- Pinellas Bird Surveys:
May 9, Tuesday
- Guardhouse Docents: Please let Barb H know if you’d like a date 727-343-1272 or TampaBayRefuges@msn.com.
Watch your emails for upcoming field trips and the Annual Egmont Key Boat Tour of the nesting birds (tentative date mid to late June)
If you’d like to volunteer to help on any bird surveys, in the Guardhouse as a docent, or at the festivals please contact Barb TampaBayRefuges@msn.com or 727-343-1272.
On Going Fund Raisers
Additional Volunteer Opportunities:
- Pinellas Refuge Cleanups: To be announced.
- Help Friends raise money by using the search engine www.Goodsearch.com. When the site asks “Who do you search for?”, type Friends of Tampa Bay National Wildlife Refuges and click Verify. The site should respond with Friends of the Tampa Bay National Wildlife Refuges, St Petersburg, FL. For each search you make through Goodsearch, 1 cent is credited to Friends. If you shop online, follow the shop link at Goodsearch to your favorite stores and a portion of your purchase price will be donated to Friends. Help support this painless and easy way to raise funds for us!
- You can purchase high quality re-manufactured ink cartridges at our link www.planetgreenrecycle.com/friendsoftampa Friends receive a 15% donation from you purchase. We also raise funds by collecting and recycling ink cartridges. They can be brought to any meeting or event.
- Shop at www.sensingnature.com put Friends of Tampa Bay NWR in the company spot on your order form and Friends will receive a donation – shop now, this is for a limited time.
Board/planning meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month at the Panera Bread, 10801 Starkey Road, Largo. Join us at 6 p.m. to socialize and have a bite to eat, the meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend. If you would like to participate please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.