Egmont Key Bird Sanctuary Boat Tour with the Friends of the Tampa Bay National Wildlife Refuges
Friday June 11th 2021, 5-8 pm
Reservations and prepayment required.
Join us for our 8th annual (well, except we had to skip 2020) tour of the Egmont Key Bird Sanctuary with a stop at the Egmont Key Guardhouse, Ft Dade ruins, the Egmont Key Lighthouse, and hopefully a Black Skimmer colony. The Egmont Key Ferry will take us around the south tip of Egmont Key to see the areas where 30-40,000+ pairs of birds are nesting. (These areas are not accessible by foot and only seen by visitors with boats). The chicks from our Laughing Gulls, Royal Terns, & Sandwich Terns should be out on the beaches exploring. It is quite the spectacle. Brown Pelicans, White Ibis, and American Oystercatchers also nest on Egmont. Arrive at the Bay Pier at Ft DeSoto no later than 4:30 pm to get checked in.
Space is limited and this event sells out quickly.
Send your reservation to TampaBayRefuges@msn.com (we will send payment info with your reservation confirmation)
- Members of Friends of the Tampa Bay NWR $30 each
- Individual Guests or non-members $45 each. You will receive a 1-year individual membership.
- Family of 2 guests or non-members $85. You will receive a 1-year family membership. Additional family members add $30 ea.
- Questions: call Barb Howard at 727 512-4914 or email TampaBayRefuges@msn.com
Closings or Cancellations of Talks, Field Trips, and Volunteer Opportunities
- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has closed the Guardhouse to visitation until further notice. Reopening the Guardhouse to be determined.
- All planned events are cancelled until further notice.
- We will update you on upcoming events depending on the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
- Board/planning meetings are held the 2nd Monday of each month and are conducted via Zoom.