- Sept 17, Saturday – Crescent Lake Festival, St Petersburg – 11-1pm
- Oct 14 & 15, Saturday & Sunday – Florida Birding and Nature Festival in Ruskin – indoors – AM or PM
- Oct 22, Saturday – MarineQuest at FWRI in St Petersburg – AM or PM
- Nov 12 & 13, Saturday & Sunday – Discover the Island on Egmont Key – indoors
- Dec 10, Saturday – Holiday Hoopla in Gulfport
- Oct 12, Wednesday
- Nov 14, Monday
- Dec 11, Sunday
Pinellas Refuge Cleanups:
Tentative dates: Oct 9, Nov 5 and or 6
Invasive plant pull on Egmont:
Upcoming opportunity October or November tbd: Pepper and Australian Pine seedling pull on Egmont Key. Help us rid the island of invasives while they are still small. Let me know if you are interested.
To volunteer, contact Barbara Howard at TampaBayRefuges@msn.com or call 727-343-1272
Keep up with the latest on Facebook.
Read the Fall issue of Friends Matter newsletter.
- Encourage membership through opportunities that support the efforts of the Fish and Wildlife Service at the Tampa Bay Refuges.
- Raise money to fund conservation, preservation, and educational projects in support of the Tampa Bay Refuges and the National Refuge System.
- Provide environmental education programs to elementary age students that takes them out of the classroom and into the school yard where they learn to relate conservation and sustainability concepts to their daily environment.
- Sponsor periodic Refuge clean-ups of exotic plants, debris, and mono-filament that are damaging to wildlife and habitat.
- Offer public educational programs on conservation and preservation topics, the Tampa Bay Refuges, and the national Refuge System.
- Provide bird stewards at Egmont Key who monitor secured areas and ensure that birds can safely nest and rest during periods of high boater visitation to the island.
- Survey nesting and resting birds at the Pinellas Refuges each month to measure changes in population and evaluate effectiveness of conservation programs.